BEVERLY, Mass. - October 9, 2018 - Having extended their current win streak to 19, Johnson & Wales (R.I.) has been unanimously chosen as the top team in the region according to the voting NEWVA members. Currently the fourth ranked team in all of NCAA Division III in the most recent AVCA DIII Coaches Poll, the Wildcats have been chosen as the top team in NEWVA in every poll in 2018.
The fifth NEWVA regional poll will be released on Tuesday, October 16.
2018 Polls to Date
NEWVA REGIONAL POLL NO. 3
1. JWU (R.I.) (19-1, 6-0 GNAC) | 150 points | 10 first place votes
2. Springfield (17-2, 6-0 NEWMAC) | 134 points
3. Bowdoin (16-1, 7-0 NESCAC) | 131 points
4. MIT (16-2, 5-1 NEWMAC) | 120 points
5. Wellesley (12-2, 5-1 NEWMAC) | 107 points
6. Wheaton (18-2, 4-1 NEWMAC) | 96 points
7. Wesleyan (Conn.) (11-2, 6-0 NESCAC) | 95 points
8. Babson (14-5, 5-1 NEWMAC) | 76 points
9. Endicott (13-7, 3-0 CCC) | 74 points
10. Amherst (12-3, 4-2 NESCAC) | 60 points
11. Tufts (11-7, 5-2 NESCAC) | 45 points
12. Middlebury (10-3, 4-2 NESCAC) | 30 points
13. Coast Guard (14-6, 3-4 NEWMAC) | 29 points
14. Williams (10-7, 4-3 NESCAC) | 25 points
15. WPI (16-3, 4-3 NEWMAC) | 17 points
Also receiving votes: Wentworth, Rivier
(Teams receiving votes must appear on two ballots or more)
THE TOP FIVE
1. No. 4 (AVCA) Johnson & Wales (R.I.) (19-1, 6-0 GNAC) | 150 points | 10 first place votes
The Wildcats, who continue to be ranked No. 4 in the most recent AVCA DIII rankings, extended their winning streak to 19 with wins over Emmanuel, NEWVA No. 5 Wellesley, and Stevens, all by 3-0 scores.
2. Springfield (17-2, 6-0 NEWMAC) | 207 points
The Pride remain undefeated in NEWMAC play and have extended their win streak to seven with a 2-0 week. Springfield swept both Smith and Westfield St. to move to 17-2 overall on the season.
3. Bowdoin (13-1, 5-0 NESCAC) | 194 points
For the third consecutive week, the Polar Bears are ranked third in the NEWVA poll. Bowdoin is riding a six match win streak that included sweeping Salem St. and Trinity by 3-0 scores, before taking down NEWVA No. 10 Amherst by a 3-1 count to improve to 13-1 on the season and remain undefeated in NESCAC play.
4. MIT (14-2, 4-1 NEWMAC) | 182 points
After a 2-0 week with wins over NEWVA No. 8 Babson 3-1, and Emmanuel 3-0, the Engineers remain at No. 4 in the fourth NEWVA poll of 2018. MIT is now 14-2 on the season and has four matches ahead this week.
5. Wellesley (12-2, 5-1 NEWMAC) | 162 points
The third NEWMAC member in the NEWVA Regional top five in week four, the Blue went 2-1 on the week, with the only loss being to NEWVA No. 1 JWU by a 3-0 final. The two wins for Wellesley came over NEWMAC foe Clark 3-0 and Roger Williams 3-0.
CONFERENCE LEADERS IN THE POLL
Commonwealth Coast Conference
There are two teams without a loss in CCC play, including No. 9 Endicott, and Wentworth, who is receiving votes.
Great Northeast Athletic Conference
Two teams are undefeated in GNAC play, including No. 1 Johnson & Wales (R.I.), and Rivier, who is receiving votes.
Little East Conference
There are four teams in the Little East tied with one loss in conference play.
Massachusetts State College Athletic Conference
Two teams are undefeated in MASCAC play.
North Atlantic Conference
No conference matches have been played as of this poll.
New England Collegiate Conference
Three teams remain undefeated in NECC play.
New England Small College Athletic Conference
Two teams are undefeated in NESCAC play, including No. 3 Bowdoin and No. 7 Wesleyan.
New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference
Springfield sits alone atop the NEWMAC standings as the only undefeated team in conference play.